Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Anatomy Weekend - System Overload

The weekend of 10/15 we had a guest trainer lay down some intense anatomy knowledge. Folks, the human body is entirely too complex to learn over the course sixteen hours spread over three days. Lillee Chandra of the Yoga Tune Up program spent the weekend teaching us the ins and outs of flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, golgi tendons, the psoas, the scapula, the thoracic cavity, the calcaneous and SO (stressing SO) much more. Miss Lillee is an expert in all things human body. This was a skosh unnerving (see what i did there?) considering that I have not thought about human anatomy in a text book capacity since high school.

SeXXXy, right?

When I returned to my apartment after our session with Lillee on Friday night, all I wanted was warm tea to calm my brain, and a warm bed in which to digest the plethora of biological terms swimming in my head. Neither of these things were to be. When I returned home, it was to a loud, (fun!) drunken house party. A true rager. A goodbye party for friends moving to Pearl Harbor naval base in Hawaii. No warm tea and bed that night, but plenty of cold beer and barbecue. It was a fantastic time! Such is the life of a yogi. Roll with the punches. My physical therapist friend LOVES anatomy and wanted to know all about what I'd learned that night. I wasn't quite on par with his knowledge, but after many beers he didn't mind. I feared his phrenic nerve might cease being involuntary.

Every yogi's best friend...Err....

 After chatting for a bit and engaging in some Drunkasanas with other folks at the party, I was able to duck away and take a look at the homework Lillee assigned for the night. The rest of the weekend continued to be a no nonsense crash course in anatomy and self massage using the Yoga Tune Up Balls (this deserves a post all to itself, it's that good). I'm chugging along in my training, and I am absolutely loving it. Joining this program is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I love this post! Cute, personal and fun to read. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I love you. You are totally able to find the balance.

    ReplyDelete