Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Find The Boney Landmark - Weekend Number Two

Weekend number two of Pure Yoga Teacher Training was all about adjustments. Learning how to properly hands-on adjust a student ensures their safety and success and is a vital component of being a competent instructor. Putting your hands all over sweaty strangers and pulling them around is awesome!

Don't you want to rub all up on this dude?

When adjusting however, it is imperative that you not be a completely skeevy creep. This means employing the "Barbie Hands" or "Crab Claw" technique. In other words, no heavy petting. Keep those hands stiff and use your palms to touch those sweaty hips! Go for bone! Find the boney landmark! It's all starting to get very sexxxy up in this yoga training. There are a number of adjustments to use on any number of poses. "Fawcett Shoulders," "Sacrum Press," and "Warrior Two Tango" are just a few on which your imagination should ruminate.
No boney landmarks here! Don't touch the butt!

It feels like the group is really starting to get to know each other better, even though we are only two weeks in. All of my fellow trainees are fantastic students and will make even better teachers, I'm sure. It's a lot of fun meeting new people who are all into yoga. Not many really care about the correct pronunciation of Parsvakonasana, or discussing their favorite Sutra. It's nice to dork out yoga style with other awesome folks.

"Yeah, Kat. It's pronounced PARSHVAKOHNAHSAHNAH!"

I am four classes into my 40 class requirement! I've been going full on for 9 days, so today I'm taking a recovery day. My triceps are killing me in the best way, and I've found ribs I was not even aware existed. The prospect of teaching an actual class is thrilling, I really can't wait! Next session (which is the weekend after this coming) we'll be turning in a typed out sequence for a 60 minute beginner class. I'm stoked to put it together and test it on my guinea pig house mate. I'm sure he will LOVE IT!

Rebecca gave us this lovely piece about how yoga fits into any lifestyle, at any time and does not take anything from you, but gives. I think it's as beautiful as she is.

USE THE FORCE!

3 comments:

  1. I always think it's strange when instructors come up and touch you. There should be a little way to be like "hey, no thanks. I'm fine with not getting the full stretch." Like if you put your towel to one side of the mat or something that's an indication that you're not interested in Barbie Hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I "like" the above comment? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talked about how to allow your students to indicate that they don't want to be touched. It's def not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete