Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Week One, Day 3 Recap

At the start of the session on Sunday, Rebecca had us go around the room and offer three words about how we were feeling about ourselves and the program. I began Sunday: Optimistic! Excited! Energized! By the time I crawled into bed around 10:30 I was: Whiny. Zombified. Overtired.
It was a tough but awesome Day Three.

We spent most of the first half of the day discussing how to arrange your class sequence around a specific intention. So, if you set an intention of courage, you might sequence in balancing poses since it requires some courage to execute them without down dogging your face into the floor, bleeding out your nose, and needing a medic to whisk your broken ass away from class, never to show your shamed, shattered face again.


We also talked about keeping students safe in class and the importance of helping the student feel successful.

We discussed how to lead up to different "Peak Poses" (the tougher ones) in a sequence so that the flow accommodates the tough pose, and prepares the student strength-wise for what is coming next. Then someone mentioned the "Bird of Paradise." Well what in the world is that pose I asked? A couple of my fellow trainees jumped right up to demonstrate this:
Basically, you move from a side angle, to a full bind, and then, oh la di dah you just raise up the bound leg over your head with the hands still bound. NO BIGGIE. Try it. Let me know how it goes. I was able to get my leg up about waist high before bursting out laughing. Then we broke into groups and came up with our own short sequence leading to a peak pose. Yay! First official sequence written!

At lunch time I realized that I need to get some more variety into my food over the weekend. I basically spent three days eating home made trail mix which, while delicious and nutritious, makes my tummy not so happy. No one wants peanut barf on their yoga mat.
When I got home I started transcribing the seemingly endless pages of notes I'd once again taken, got up to the "Bird of Paradise" bit and basically had a teensy weensy ever so small mental breakdown. I watched some Battlestar Galactica and went to sleep.
Think she does yoga?




3 comments:

  1. So Aaron came up behind me as I started reading this post and I was like "this is Kat's yoga blog!" He looked at the icanhascheeseburger picture and was like "WTF? UGH!" and I was like, "NO, Kat's! Not cats doing yoga." It took him like 10 seconds to realize what I meant.

    Anyway, don't worry. It's all about the getting there. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I agree with Amber. Don't worry. This line of study is surely going to be rife with mental and emotional breakdowns. You'll come out a much stronger person in the end.

    ReplyDelete